Reverend Red’s Chili
2012 National Bison Association “Best Buffalo Chili Recipe” Contest Winner
Submitted by Mary Lou Flocchini
5 lbs. bison (preferably roast)
2 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon course black pepper
6 teaspoon cumin (powdered)
3 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoon ground pasillla (or ground chili powder)
4 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
2 jalapeno chili peppers
4 garlic cloves
½ large red onion
1 15 oz. can tomatoes sauce (2 cans of water also)
2 teaspoon oregano
2 oz. beer
4 tablespoon oil
- Cube bison meat into small cubes about the size of end of finger. Frosted meat cuts easier.
- Chop onion fine
- Roast and peel jalapeno peppers. Split, remove insides and seeds, chop.
- Peel tomatoes, and dice (should yield one to 1.5 cups).
- Place meat, onion, garlic and jalapeno in 1 gallon pot
- Cook above ingredients in pot, stirring frequently until meat is grey.
- Add tomato sauce and other spices,. Crush oregano before adding.
- Add one can of water and save one to add as necessary.
- Simmer for one to 1.5 hours.
- Allow chili to get thick, but add water as necessary.
- Drink remaining beer while waiting.